Saturday, June 27, 2009

Saturday's with Dad

Dad.

Like pretty much every Saturday since I stopped riding, I have spent in Benton at my parents home. I enjoy it but sometimes it's real work. Today i had one of those. My sister had warned me that he hasn't been doing much walking for anyone lately. He never gives me trouble like that. Today was my day. I got him up and showered and looking and smelling all nice and clean but his mind seemed somewhere else as we were getting out of the bathroom. He was stand there bend over like many elderly people stand and he would talk about the TV, then he would start to take a step and stop. The he did what I had been hearing about... dead weight. I kept him up but broke out in a sweat to be had. I have never let him fall and today was not going to be the first time either! Mom was in another room talking and he was asking questions while I was holding him up. I thought, this is crazy and finally had to say, "Mom stop talking to him a moment!". I told him to stand up and start moving! I was stern about it to. Inside I was falling apart. This is my Dad. Big strong guy who taught me what I know. I finally convinced him to stand tall and spread his legs apart a little have have better balance. I told him that I knew he could walk and he said, "Of course I can." I needed him to prove it. I told him that he was in trouble with me right now and that I could be a lot tougher than the sisters. He laughed. We walked all the way from the bathroom through the den to his chair. He felt good after he did it and I praised him for it.

Mom and my sister Sherry went shopping for the afternoon and I know Mom loved being out and enjoying girl time. Dad and I enjoying the guys time. We talked about a lot of stuff. One thing we talked about we being a gentleman. He taught me how to play the game of life.

I went outside while he was napping and washed their truck. It was a mess! Mom had left a window down when it stormed a few weeks ago and it was NASTY! On the passengers side there were three floor mats piled on top of each other and underneath was standing black water. It stunk to high heaven! I spent several hours getting it cleaned up. Had to leave the windows down and the floor mats out. Yes, it's in the garage this time.

I finally got home around 6:30. Just in time for dinner with my family. My son and his girlfriend came for dinner. Always fun!

It was a good day all in all!

Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment